As far as newspapers and magazines are concerned, we’re in momentous times. For the new Royal Charter passed by Parliament asks that all newspapers, magazines and some blogs and websites sign up to it as a way of regulation by the Government.
So it seems appropriate to make the position at Featureworld clear. Featureworld does not support any form of statutory regulation – such as this – which prevents free speech and as such could prevent our interviewees, ordinary members of the public, from getting their story out there.
It also seems timely to remind members of the public coming to Featureworld to sell their story how Featureworld works – as it is very different from going directly to a magazine, newspaper or most other agencies and journalists. This is why selling your story through Featureworld is the safest way to get publicity.
Broadly, this is how Featureworld works:
* All conversations with interviewees are off the record and confidential.
* All potential interviewees are offered independent and unbiased advice. It might be after this conversation, they decide not to go ahead with a story and this is respected. However good their story is, it will never go any further.
* We write our own stories ensuring interviewees are presented as they want to be in a newspaper or magazine.
* All copy is read back and may be recorded. All deals are put in writing and interviewees must sign that they are happy with their copy and they want to go ahead.
* If, having signed the agreement, interviewees change their minds, then Featureworld accepts that and will withdraw the story.
* Featureworld believes the public should be paid for their stories – after all journalists, publications and TV are making money out of them. As such we endeavour to gain you the highest price.
* There might be times when we are legally unable or feel it is not in the public interest or your interest to accept a fee for telling your story. We will tell you why this is.
* Featureworld makes money by writing the story – we have to keep on finding stories to write about – so no money is taken out of your fee, which often comes separately from the publication.
* We do not pass on interviewee’s details without their written consent. We syndicate (sell on) our own stories around the world. We need an interviewee’s written consent to sell a story again and the interviewee is paid again.
* We have contractual agreements with all newspapers, magazines and TV, which prevent stories and photos from being sold on by them or reprinted. Featureworld stories and any associated photos can only be sold on by Featureworld and only then with an interviewee’s written consent.
So there you have it! Featureworld does go far and above any press laws – and takes extreme care to check interviewees are happy – but we do this because we only want happy customers. After all, the most important person in the process is you.
For free advice about your story contact us using the form to the right of this page >>>