Cat bite infection left me disabled – story in the SUNDAY PEOPLE newspaper
Vicky Williams suffered a small nip from her cat
Hand swelled and she was sent to hospital
Has had 16 operations to cure an infection
She has lost the use of her hand
As a cat owner (and my cat is literally treated like a princess!) I dislike scare stories in the media about animals – particularly cats (obviously).
But Vicky’s story is one that needed to be told as bites from all animals (including humans…) can be extremely dangerous. With cats however, their canine teeth can puncture the skin injecting bacteria deeper inside the body. So a cat bite can be more of a worry.
When Vicky got a small nip on her hand from her pet cat Smidge, she thought nothing of it.
But the cat bite it was to mark the beginning of an 18 month nightmare.
Within days Vicky’s hand swelled to almost twice its normal size – putting her in hospital. She has since had 16 operations to try and get her hand right. However, she has been left with compex pain syndrome and is now unable to use her right hand.
Despite this, she doesn’t blame Smidge. “I have two cats and he was cross because the other was getting all my attention,” she said, “as he jumped onto my lap, he tried to nip my other cat and caught my hand. He isn’t an aggressive cat.”
Vicky has been shocked to discover how dangerous cat bites can be. “The wound was tiny. Only one tooth punctured the skin. But I have since found out that bites from cats often carry a lot of bacteria.”
She now wishes she went to hospital earlier and wants to warn other feline owners who suffer a cat bite to do the same.
However, she still has Smidge and has no intention of giving him up!
I placed Vicky’s story in the Sunday People newspaper and I have already gained her further coverage in a national women’s magazine!
Story to sell to the media? Contact me for free and confidential advice on selling your story.